Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
AGU Sections recognize outstanding work within their scientific field by hosting nearly 25 named lecture presentations as well as awarding nearly 40 awards annually. Awardees – in various stages of their careers – and named lecturers – that represent some of the most innovative minds in their fields – are selected for contributing meritorious work or service toward the advancement and promotion of discovery in Earth and space science for the benefit of humanity.
AGU will accept nominations for AGU Section Awards until 15 April 2018 11:59 P.M. EST.
ATTENTION: Nominations for all Hydrology Awards must be submitted to Antonio Covington by 15 March 2018 11:59 P.M. EST. Do Not Submit Hydrology award nomination packages through the nomination system.
Atmospheric Space and Electricity Atmospheric Sciences
Earth and Planetary Surface Processes Earth and Space Science Informatics
Geodesy Geomagnetism, Paleomagnetism, and Electromagnetism
Global Environmental Change Hydrology
Mineral and Rock Physics Natural Hazards
Nonlinear Geophysics Ocean Sciences
Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology Planetary Sciences
Seismology Space Physics and Aeronomy
Study of the Earth's Deep Interior Tectonophysics
Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology
Submission & Review Instructions
Make sure you choose the correct Awards Program you are applying to, by clicking on the relevant honor name in the Navigation Ribbon/Bar above. For the best user experience, please use either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browser.
All nomination forms/file uploads and review forms will be handled through this site. You can work on multiple nominations for multiple awards and save your work as you go, returning to the site as often as needed, but not after finalizing and submitting a nomination or review form. All submission materials must be completed and submitted by the submission deadline.
Nominators should sign in using your AGU member profile credentials. If you need to renew your membership or need assistance signing in using your AGU member profile credentials, please contact via email at AGU Member Services or call +1 (202) 462-6900.
To create a new nomination, select ‘Submit Nomination’ from the task bar, or to view previously submitted nominations, select 'My Nominations' from the menu on the left side of the screen.
Tips for Creating a Strong Nomination
- Familiarize yourself with the criteria for the specific Section Award to be sure that your nomination meets all eligibility and format requirements.
- Review the Conflict of Interest Policy to assure your nomination conforms to all AGU ethical standards.
- Nomination letters should explicitly address the selection criteria and explain the importance of the science/accomplishments relevant to the award and assure the nomination materials are tailored to the award.
- Provide a complete overview of your nominee and emphasize the unique elements of his/her accomplishments that makes your nomination stand out from others focusing on transformational science documented by specific publications and how they might have changed the course of research in the field.
- Submit a concise, well-written nomination packet by providing objective information to support statements made by colleagues, whenever possible.
- Solicit strong and diverse supporters that will strengthen the nomination. Letters of support should provide evidence of the nominee's merit in a manner that educates committee members, who may not be familiar with the nominee's work. Supporter diversity with regard to institutional affiliations, discipline/sub-discipline, or career stage is encouraged as this illustrates how impactful a candidate's work is on their broader scientific community.
- Read more helpful tips in Guidelines to a Successful Nomination.